Becoming a Donor
Thank you for your willingness to provide precious breast milk to a baby in need! Whether you offer a one-time donation or agree to become an ongoing donor, please know that you are directly helping another baby to thrive, and contributing to the overall well-being of another family in Central Florida. This is something to be very proud of, and the recipients are so incredibly appreciative.
The application process is simple. Most healthy mothers with healthy babies are eligible to donate milk. If you are eligible to donate blood, you will probably be eligible to donate milk as well. To protect the babies we serve, our milk donors are screened very carefully according to the guidelines put forth by the Human Milk Banking Association of North America. Some requirements include:
- Be a healthy lactating mom with no chronic illnesses
- Blood-test negative for Syphilis, HIV, HTLV, and Hepatitis
- No use of tobacco or nicotine products, including gum and patches
- Not drinking more than 2 alcoholic beverages each day
- No blood transfusions within the past 12 months
- No history of hepatitis or nonprescription IV drug use
- Not having a sexual partner in the past 12 months who is at risk for HIV, HTLV, or Hepatitis (including anyone with hemophilia or anyone who has used a needle for injection of illegal or nonprescription drugs)
- Use a breast pump that has never been used by anyone else
- Agree to carry out meticulous milk collection and storage
To become a donor, please complete the following steps:
1. Download and complete the Donor Application. When complete, send it to Michelle Seiler, our Director of Donor Relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow the Get PUMPed! Board one week to review your application and notify you via email regarding your status. Once the application is accepted, please complete step 2.
The labwork can be faxed to (407) 369-4609; mailed to 1969 S. Alafaya Trail, #157 Orlando, FL 32828; or scanned and emailed to email@example.com.
Once all paperwork is in place, you will receive a donor number via email, which will identify you in our system while maintaining your anonymity to the recipient family. Please be sure to label each bag or bottle of donated milk you provide with this number.